the next voice you don't hear
Wonder why it is that you never hear about it when these Christians - representing millions of members - speak out? The National Council of Churches is circulating a petition for the Fourth of July that protests the war in
This year our nation is at war as we observe the 4th of July... day by day the cost of this war for the
United States, for Iraq, for peace grows clearer. No weapons of mass destruction have been found; no link to the attacks on September 11, 2001 has been shown. It has become clear that the rationale for invasion was at best a tragic mistake, at worst a clever deception.
As people of faith, we believe in the transcendent sovereignty and love of God for creation, and that the responsibility of human beings is thus to pursue justice and peace for all. we also believe that, as the biblical prophets of old ... we too are to speak to a land and people we love. as religious leaders we invite others who share our affections and dismay to recognize the time has come to speak out.
The time has come to say:
- NO to leaders who have sent many honorable sons and daughters to fight a dishonorable war;
- NO to the violence that has cost over seventeen hundred American lives, left thousands grievously injured, and killed untold numbers of Iraqis whose deaths we are unwilling to acknowledge or count;
- NO to the abuse of prisoners that has shamed our nation and damaged our reputation throughout the world;
- NO to the price tag for this war that has rendered our federal budget incapable of adequately caring for the poorest of our own citizens; and,
- NO to theologies that demonize other nations and religions while arrogantly claiming righteousness for ourselves as if we share no complicity in human evil.
We're always hearing about how the voices of Christians are being suppressed in this country, while being subjected to the endless hate-filled shrieks of Falwell, Robertson, and the other American Taliban.
Still, maybe that "suppression" charge is true -- it's just that they're silencing the wrong Christians.